It was just over a year ago that author Caryn Rose appeared on The Ledge to promote her excellent debut novel, B-Sides and Broken Hearts. She spent this past summer following Bruce Springsteen’s European tour as it hit Paris, Prague, Vienna, London, and Dublin, and the result is the just-released epub, Raise Your Hand: Adventures of an American Springsteen Fan in Europe.
Released just over a month ago, the book has been a raging success, hitting the iTunes Arts & Entertainment charts in not only the US (#1!), but also the UK (#2), France (#5), German (#1), and many other countries. It is also a part of Barnes and Noble’s NookFirst program.
Caryn joins host Scott Hudson on this week’s super-sized edition of The Ledge, and discusses every aspect of her working vacation. Besides detailing each of the shows she attended, we talked about the differences between American and European fans, the concept of checking into the “queue”, and the controversy surrounding when the plug was pulled during an onstage appearance by Sir Paul McCartney in London.
Along with the chat, Rose selected tracks from each of the show’s she attended, and the combination of two long-winded fans and almost two dozen live recordings turned this into the longest Ledge episode to date. In fact, this may be the only podcast that is longer than the subject member’s legendary performances.
For more info on both of Caryn’s books, along with her opinions on other music-related topics, check out her website, Jukeboxgraduate. Raise Your Hand can also be purchased by following these links to iTunes, Barnes and Noble, Google Books, and Amazon.
To hear this show, you can grab it in iTunes, stream it via Stitcher, or download The Ledge app in iTunes or Google. Or…
The tracks played on this broadcast include:
1. Thunder Road (London)
2. Independence Day (Paris 1)
3. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Paris 1)
4. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out (Paris 1)
5. The River (Paris 1)
6. Incident on 57th Street (Paris 2)
7. Seven Nights to Rock (Paris 2)
8. My Love Will Not Let You Down (Prague)
9. This Hard Land (Prague)
10. Loose Ends (Vienna)
11. Tougher Than the Rest (Vienna)
12. Take ‘Em As They Come (London)
13. Johnny 99 (London)
14. Spirit In the Night (London)
15. Shackled and Drawn (London)
16. Jack of All Trades (w/Tom Morello) (London)
17. I Saw Her Standing There (w/Paul McCartney) (London)
18. Twist and Shout (w/Paul McCartney) (London)
19. I Fought the Law (Dublin 1)
20. I’m a Rocker (Dublin 1)
21. Rocky Ground (Dublin 2)
22. Rocking All Over the World (w/John Fogerty) (London)